If you have any questions please contact clip chair Doug Sundin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The contest is open to all WNPA members in good standing. All photographs published during the contest month are eligible. Previous winners, if published again in a different month, are not eligible.
2. Only published entries are eligible. Publication is defined as printed or electronically reproduced by a commercial enterprise. Simple database postings or personal website postings are not eligible. “Commercial enterprise” does not necessarily mean a for-profit endeavour and discretion in determining the form or context of a “commercial enterprise” is granted to the clip chairperson. Entries may be from any publication or enterprise except WNPA publications or enterprises. Each entry must be the work of an individual photographer.
3. The following information should be clearly embeded in the metadata of each image as follows:
Photo Mechanic (below)
Filenaming is very critical because if you upload two images with the same file name, one will be overwritten. To solve this, please follow the following naming convention to ensure everyone has unique file names:
Start with the two letter category code followed by an underscore:
Spot news = sn_
General news = gn_
Feature = fe_
Multiple = mu_
Illustration = il_
Sports = sp_
Portrait = po_
Then follow it by your first initial, then your middle initial then your last name. If you have more than one photo in a category follow it by a number. For example:
Jon Doe Smith enters two photos in the spot news category:
Please number your multiple category pictures in the order you want judges to view them. If you have more than 10 photos make sure they go 01, 02, 03…09, 10, 11, etc.
Go to airdropper.com/wnpaonline and for the password, type in the month of you want to submit to:
This will then take you to the upload page where you can upload all the files you have for that month all at once. There is no size requirement for photographs.
The clip chairman may disqualify any entry if information is incorrect, illegible or missing. And may disqualify all of the contestant’s entries for the month if the limit is exceeded. The clip chairman’s rulings are final.
4. There are seven Categories: Spot News, General News, Sports, Feature-Single, Multiple, Portrait and Illustration. The same picture cannot be entered in more than one category. Except, a picture entered in the single category can be entered in the multiple category as well. The clip contest committee may change an entry to a more appropriate category. The illustration category is judged quarterly. These judgings will take place with the March, June, September and December clips.
5. A total of nine clips can be entered per month
6. Points are awarded as follows:
15 Honorable Mention
Judges are instructed to judge only the pictures, disregarding picture size, color, or quality of reproduction as much as possible. And they will award a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2 HMs in each category every month.
7. Points are totalled at the end of the year. The photographer with the highest point total is the Clip Photographer of the Year, provided the photographer has shown versatility by winning in at least three of the seven contest categories during the year. Also, a year-end tie within the top 10 scores, the rank(s) beneath the tie will be skipped for the next award. For example, a two-way tie for top place leaves third place for the next highest photographer.
8. Points count only in the state in which they are earned and cannot be transferred if the photographer moves to another state. Interns or students may enter their clips either in their state of residence or in the state where they work or attend classes, but they cannot transfer points between states.
9. It is understood that any copyright of an entry remains the property of the photographer or employer of the photographer. However, all participants agree that by entering the contest, they give permission to WNPA/NPPA for its regional and national publications to reproduce winning entries, either through ha copy or electronically, including and not limited to, regional publications, News Photographer magazine, WNPA magazine, commercial online services and WNPA/ NPPA presences on the Internet. Reasonable precautions will be taken to ensure the security of electronic reproduction.
10. Clips must be submitted by the end (11:59:59 p.m.) of the 7th day of the month following the contest month.